Washington Parish was founded from St Michael's Houghton le Spring in 1864 the Church being built and dedicated to Our Blessed Lady Immaculate in 1878.
Washington was designated as a New Town in July 1964 and as the population increased new churches were needed, St Bede's was built in 1965 and St John Boste in 1980.
The three Washington churches became a cluster in 2002 and amalgamated with our Lady Queen of Peace which covers the area of Penshaw and Shiney Row and the four churches became a single parish and took the name of St John XXlll at 10 am on 27 April 2014 when Pope Francis canonised Pope John XXlll.
We work closely with our partner church St Joseph's, Birtley.
We are part of the Partnership Of Benedict and our member churches are:
Our Blessed Lady Immaculate, Washington
Our Lady Queen Of Peace, Penshaw
St Bede, Sacriston
St Bede, Washington
St Cuthbert, Chester-Le-Street
St John Boste, Washington
St Joseph, Birtley